Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. and Hubert Burnham Papers, 1890-1978
1 to 12 of 123 Digital Images shown
- IdentificationPUBLIC "-//The Art Institute of Chicago::Ryerson and Burnham Archives//TEXT(US::ICA::1943.2::DANIEL H. BURNHAM, JR. (1886-1961) AND HUBERT BURNHAM (1882-1968) PAPERS, 1888-1995 (bulk 1920-1950))//EN" "ica194302.xml"
- TitleBurnham, Daniel H., Jr. and Hubert Burnham Papers, 1890-1978 (bulk 1920-1950)
- PublisherRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago,
- (bulk 1920-1950)
- 14 linear feet (30 boxes), 11 portfolios, flatfile materials and rolled tube materials
- Holograph papers, typescript papers, printed papers, photocopies, bound scrapbooks, black and white photographic prints, black and white negatives, black and white photostatic prints, ink drawings, graphite drawings, architectural reprographic prints on paper and ephemera.
- RepositoryRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60603-6110 (312) 443-7292 email@example.com http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchives.html
- AbstractThese materials, including job files, correspondence, drawings, scrapbooks, diaries, and photographs, document the architectural practice of Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. and his brother, Hubert, for public and private buildings in Chicago and the surrounding region during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, including the Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933-1934.
- OriginationBurnham, Daniel H. (Daniel Hudson), Jr., 1886-1961 Burnham, Hubert, 1882-1968
- LocationA portion of this collection is housed in the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries' on-site stacks. The remainder of the collection is housed in off-site storage and is so designated by the abbreviation 'OS' in the location column of the finding aid's item listing. Collections maintained in off-site storage will be retrieved with advance notification; please consult the Archivist for the current retrieval schedule. For further information, consult http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchaccess.html
Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. (1886-1961) and Hubert Burnham (1882-1969), sons of Chicago architect Daniel H. Burnham, first worked as architects in their father's Chicago architecture and planning firm. Following their father's death in 1912, they continued as partners in the successive firms Graham, Burnham & Company, D.H. Burnham & Co., Burnham Brothers, Inc., and Burnham & Hammond. The brothers worked together on the Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago in 1933: Daniel, Jr., was secretary and director of Public Works and Hubert served as a member of the Architectural Commission. Both brothers were elected Fellows of the American Institute of Architects.
The collection mainly documents Daniel H. Burnham, Jr.'s career through business diaries, correspondence, scrapbooks and photographs and the brothers' work with the Century of Progress Exposition through plans, contracts, papers, photographs, memorabilia, scrapbooks, and albums. Architectural projects by D.H. Burnham & Co., Perkins, Chatten & Hammond, and the Burnham Brothers firms are also well represented in images, architectural and engineering drawings, and specifications.
SERIES I: DANIEL H. BURNHAM, JR. BUSINESS DIARIES. Arranged chronologically.
SERIES II: DANIEL H. BURNHAM, JR. CORRESPONDENCE. Arranged chronologically.
SERIES III: BURNHAM BROTHERS MISCELLANEOUS PAPERS. Includes registrations and memberships, notebooks, diaries, articles, and Hubert Burnham correspondence.
SERIES IV: DANIEL H. BURNHAM, JR. SCRAPBOOKS. Arranged chronologically.
SERIES V: CENTURY OF PROGRESS INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION, CHICAGO, 1933-1934. General materials are followed by materials organized by building or exhibit name, with paper materials followed by visual materials within each project.
SERIES VI: IMAGES. Primarily black and white photographic prints, divided into two subseries: general projects and personal. Projects are arranged alphabetically by project name and within by view type and date.
SERIES VII: ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS AND RECORDS. Drawings and supplemental records are organized alphabetically by project name and within each project by drawing type, media, and date.
SERIES VIII: OFFICE RECORDS. Materials are arranged chronologically.
- Burnham, Daniel H. (Daniel Hudson), Jr., 1886-1961
- Burnham, Hubert, 1882-1968
- Burnham, Daniel H. (Daniel Hudson), Jr., 1886-1961--Archives
- Burnham, Hubert, 1882-1968--Archives
- Graham, Burnham & Co.
- D.H. Burnham & Co.
- Burnham Brothers, Inc.
- Burnham and Hammond
- Century of Progress International Exposition (1933-1934: Chicago, Ill.)--Sources
- Architecture--Illinois--Chicago--20th century--Sources
- Chicago (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--History--Sources
Century of Progress Collection, 00.18
Daniel H. Burnham Collection, 1943.1
Edward H. Bennett Collection, 1973.1
Charles Herrick Hammond Papers, 1984.5
Historic Architecture and Landscape Image Collection, 00.20
Schmidt, Garden and Martin Records, 00.17
Portions of this collection are restricted from patron use due to fragility; the remainder of the collection may be used by qualified readers in the Reading Room of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries at The Art Institute of Chicago. Collections maintained on-site are available for patron use without prior arrangement or appointment. Collections maintained in off-site storage will be retrieved with advance notification; please consult the Archivist for the current retrieval schedule. For further information, consult http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchaccess.html
The Art Institute of Chicago is providing access to the materials in the Libraries' collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of the Art Institute is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Archivist, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago. In addition to permission from the Art Institute, permission of the copyright owner (if not the Art Institute) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. The Art Institute makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. and Hubert Burnham Papers, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago.
Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. and Hubert Burnham donated the majority collection to the Ryerson and Burnham Archives in 1943. Daniel H. Burnham IV and the Hearn Company made later gifts to the collection. Architectural drawings in Series VII were purchased by the Ryerson and Burnham Archives from a private collector in 2000 and 2008. Additional materials were donated by Barry A. Goldberg in 2008 and the UIC University Library, 2010.
This collection was processed by Ryerson and Burnham Archives staff between 2001 and 2004; Series VIII was processed by Annemarie van Roessel. This finding aid was revised and expanded by Annemarie van Roessel in 2004 and Nathaniel Parks and Mary Woolever in 2006.
Indices for the five photograph albums found in Series IVcontaining photographs of bank and office buildings, department stores, railroad stations, and schoolsare available online.