Architects' Portraits Collection, 1865-c.1982
1 to 3 of 3 Digital Images shown
- IdentificationPUBLIC "-//The Art Institute of Chicago::Ryerson and Burnham Archives//(US::ICA::00.19::ARCHITECTS' PORTRAITS COLLECTION, 1865-c.1982)//EN" "ica000019.xml"
- TitleArchitects' Portraits Collection, 1865-c.1982 (bulk c.1982)
- PublisherRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago
- (bulk c.1982)
- .5 linear foot (1 box)
- Black and white photographic prints.
- RepositoryRyerson and Burnham Archives Ryerson and Burnham Libraries The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60603-6110 (312) 443-7292 email@example.com http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchives.html
- AbstractThis collection includes portraits of a wide range of architects, primarily American, who practiced in the 19th through the 21st centuries; a significant number of portraits were gathered from architects in preparation for the exhibition Chicago Architects Design, organized by the Department of Architecture at The Art Institute of Chicago in 1982.
- OriginationRyerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago
- LocationThe collection is housed in the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries' on-site stacks.
This collection offers portraits of a wide range of architects, primarily American, who practiced in the 19th through the 21st centuries.
The portraits are arranged in one series, organized alphabetically by architect's last name.
- Architects--United States--Portraits
- Architects--United States--Photographs
- Chicago Architectural Club
- Chicago Architectural Sketch Club
- Cliff Dwellers (Club)
- Johnson, Philip, 1906---Photographs
- Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903--Photographs
- Roche, Kevin, 1922---Photographs
The Department of Architecture holds drawings and models from the majority of architects in this collection; the Department also maintains a separate collection of architects' portraits.
The collection may be used by qualified readers in the Reading Room of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries at The Art Institute of Chicago. Collections maintained on-site are available for patron use without prior arrangement or appointment. Collections maintained in off-site storage will be retrieved with advance notification; please consult the Archivist for the current retrieval schedule. For further information, consult http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchaccess.html
The Art Institute of Chicago is providing access to the materials in the Libraries' collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of the Art Institute is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Archivist, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago. In addition to permission from the Art Institute, permission of the copyright owner (if not the Art Institute) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. The Art Institute makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
Architects' Portraits Collection, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago.
The Architects' Portraits is a collection of photographs from largely unknown sources, although a significant number of portraits were gathered from architects in preparation for the exhibition Chicago Architects Design, organized by the Department of Architecture in 1982. Other items were transferred from Ryerson Burnham pamphlet file, were taken from published sources, or were a gift from Donald Hoffman.
The Architects Portraits collection was transferred from the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries to the Ryerson and Burnham Archives in Spring 2001. Additional material was transferred from the Department of Architecture in 2002.
The collection was processed by Natasha Derrickson, of the Ryerson and Burnham Archives, in Spring 2001. Additional materials were added by Annemarie van Roessel in Fall 2002, Nathaniel Parks in 2009, and Julie Murray in 2013.
An appendix, a Selected Portrait Index For Architects, Engineers, Landscape Architects, Real Estate Businessmen, and Related Professionals, is appended at the end of this finding aid.