Archie Lieberman Collection, 1950-2003
- TitleArchie Lieberman Collection RG 1000.04
- PublisherCollege Archives & Special Collections at Columbia College Chicago
- RepositoryCollege Archives & Special Collections at Columbia College Chicago
- OriginationLieberman, Archie
- AbstractArchie Lieberman (1926-2008), of Chicago, Illinois, was a photographer for magazines, advertising, and corporations, including Look magazine, Time, Life, and Collier's. The collection demonstrates Lieberman's professional work for many decades as a photographer, author, and photojournalist. The entire collection dates from 1950 to 2003 in 153.0 cubic feet.
- Physical Description153.0 Cubic Feet Forms of Material: black-and-white negatives; color negatives; contact sheets; Correspondence; Diaries; Interviews; Magazines (periodicals); Newspaper Clippings; personal papers; Photographs; proofs (prints by function); reports; Slides
There are 60 boxes of oversize prints that remain to be processed. This finding aid reflects the processing work of paper-based materials. Further processing of slides and oversize prints will continue.
Archie Lieberman was born in Chicago, Illinois on July 17, 1926 and died in Galena, Illinois on March 13, 2008. He was educated at the Chicago Institute of Design (now Illinois Institute of Technology) where he studied with Alexander Archipenko, Buckminster Fuller, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, and Aaron Siskind, and he attended the Art Institute of Chicago. Lieberman worked as a photographer for magazines, advertising, and corporations working extensively for Look magazine between 1952 and 1972 and his photographs have also appeared in such magazines as Life, Time, Fortune, Collier's, Holiday, London Illustrated, and Paris-Match. In the 1960s, Lieberman taught Photography classes at Columbia College Chicago.
Lieberman was the author or photographer of more than twenty books. His photographs have been exhibited in museums and galleries throughout the United States and Canada. He won numerous prizes and awards, including five from the University of Missouri School of Journalism, the Friends of Literature Award (1974, for Farm Boy), the Society of Professional Journalists’ Peter Lisagor Award (1980 for “Final Verdict”, the Chicago Book Clinic Award and selection among the Best Fifty Books of 1965 (for The Israelis), and numerous awards from photographic, typographic, and graphic design professional associations.
The Archie Lieberman Collection dates from 1950 to 2003 in 153.0 cubic feet. The Collection contains the work of Archie Lieberman, outlining his professional work for many decades as a photographer, author, and photojournalist. This collection includes job notebooks, photographic negatives, slides, prints, and contact proofs. Personal and business correspondence, academic activities, journals, and personal writings.
This collection has been arranged into seven series:
Series 1: Farm Boy/Neighbors, 1954-1994 Series 2: Project Work, 1950s-2000s Series 3: Commercial Work, 1951-1971 Series 4: Prints/Contacts, 1965-2002 Series 5: Printed Materials, 1966-1996 Series 6: Correspondence & Academic Work, 1960-2003 Series 7: Negatives, 1950s-2000s
The majority of the collection is arranged around the job numbers assigned by Lieberman to each photographic session. These job numbers, recorded in annual journals, were meticulously kept by Lieberman and the negatives, proof sheets, photographs, and slides are generally arranged by this number. A small amount of material from his time at Black Star predated his numeric system and this material is arranged alphabetically by name or chronologically by date.
The remainder of the collection contains major project materials, such as his Farm Boy work, and categories of materials such as correspondence, academic work, and exhibit information.
Archie Lieberman Collection, College Archives & Special Collections, Columbia College Chicago
Look Magazine Collection, Library of Congress Look Magazine Collection
Materials are the property of Columbia College Chicago. Intellectual property rights belong to the Lieberman family.
Access to digitized objects within this collection can be found at DigitalCommons.
Gift, 2008-07-18Materials were acquired from three sources: the family home and a storage unit both located in Illinois and from another repository in Iowa that deaccessioned the collection.
- Lieberman, Archie
- Look magazine
- Collier's magazine
- Black star (Picture agency)
- Photography of farms