John T. Rettaliata Papers, 1948-1972
- TitleA guide to the John T. Rettaliata Papers, 1948-1972
- PublisherPaul V. Galvin Library, University Archives & Special Collections
- RepositoryUniversity Archives & Special Collections Paul V. Galvin Library 35 W. 33rd Street Chicago, IL 60616 URL: http://archives.iit.edu Email: email@example.com Phone: 312-567-6840
- OriginationRettaliata, John T
- Physical Description21 Folders
John T. Rettaliata (1911-2009) served as Illinois Institute of Technology’s second president from 1952 - June 30, 1973. His tenure at IIT began in 1945 as a professor of mechanical engineering. He held various campus positions prior to become president including director of the mechanical engineering department, dean of engineering, and vice-president for academic affairs. As president of IIT, he also served as president of Armour Research Foundation where he had previously been a consultant in the ARF mechanical engineering division. Rettaliata’s presidency marked a time of continued expansion of the physical campus and IIT’s building program. In addition, it was under Rettaliata that the school developed into a university as a result of administrative reorganization and expansion of the school’s academic programs.
Source: IIT Archives (Chicago). Please cite source when quoting this information. Please send corrections or additional information about this topic to firstname.lastname@example.org. Dan Ryan served as the Illinois Institute of Technology photographer from 1965 – ca. 1993. As a member of the public relations office, he may also have been responsible for speech writing, producing printed materials and publicity related to public activities of the university which probably explains why the office which apparently generated these materials and turned them over to the IIT Archives was the office of public relations, rather than the president’s office. The official records of John Rettaliata’s presidency have not been found.
Materials related to John T. Rettaliata during his tenure as the second president of Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago), 1948 – 1973. See below for folder level inventory of holdings.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
John T. Rettaliata Papers, Paul V. Galvin Library, University Archives & Special Collections
- Rettaliata, John T
- Collection is believed to have been assembled by IIT Office of Public Information staff member Dan Ryan rather than by President Rettaliata's office. Dan Ryan was an IIT staff member and the campus photographer 1965-May 1990.
- SubjectHonorary Degrees --S. R. Crown Hall --Kent State-1970 --Student Demonstrations