Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Historical and Printed Materials, 1849-1999
- IdentificationCB&Q 32
- TitleInventory of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Historical and Printed Materials, 1849-1999 CB&Q.32
- PublisherThe Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts
- RepositoryThe Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts
- Physical Description132.0 linear feet (172 boxes, 89 volumes, 8 record cartons, 7 oversize boxes, 2 flat file folders, and 4 index card boxes)
- Location4a 34 8-14; 4a 37 1; 4a 38 1; 4a flat files
- AbstractOfficial and unofficial histories of the company, annual reports, in-house newsletters, circulars, scrapbooks, timetables, pamphlets, and research files produced by the CB&Q and its historians. Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
- OriginationChicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company.
Deposit of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Company, 1943, with subsequent additions, 1948-onward. Ownership transferred to Newberry Library by Burlington Northern Company, 1975.
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records, The Newberry Library, Chicago.
Martha Briggs, Alison Hinderliter, Lisa Janssen, Kelly Kress, Emma Martin, Andrew Olofsson, and Pamela Olson, 2014.
Materials summarizing the history of the CB&Q and its branches, including official documents such as annual reports and minutes of Board meetings, contracts, memoranda, and official publications (such as printed letters from the president, and in-house newsletters for CB&Q employees). Secondary histories about the railroad and affiliated topics are also filed here. Also includes materials printed by and for the railroad meant to be disseminated either in-house or out to the public. These include printed circulars, scrapbooks of printed and collected material, pamphlets, timetables, tickets, and miscellaneous printed ephemera. In addition, the record group contains the research files of Richard C. Overton, historian for the CB&Q and author of the definitive history of the road, Burlinton Route (University of Nebraska Press, 1965).
Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
This finding aid supersedes the Guide to the Burlington Archives in the Newberry Library, 1851-1901 (Chicago: Newberry Library, 1949), and incorporates subsequent additions to the company records. Certain materials have been deaccessioned and donated to the Burlington Route Historical Society; see curator for details.
Original title for this Record Group, in the 1949 printed guide, is "General."
Papers are organized in the following series:
Title Box Series 32.1: Corporate Histories, 1872-1940s Boxes 1-2; +1 Series 32.12: Annual Reports to the Board of Directors and Stockholders (printed and typescript), 1854-1968 Volumes 1-17; Boxes 3-5 Series 32.13: Annual Reports (manuscript), 1878-1909 Boxes 6-13 Series 32.15: H.C. Murphy - Monthly letters to Directors, 1954-1965 Box 14 Series 32.16: Miscellaneous Reports to the Board of Directors, 1935-1966 Box 15 Series 32.2: Records, Minute Books, 1849-1902 Volumes +1-5; Boxes 16-27; +1 Series 32.3: Contracts, 1852-1900 Boxes 28-37 Series 32.32: Records of Leases of Railroads and Bridges and Trackage Contracts, 1868-1895 Box 37 Series 32.4: License Book, 1860-1905 Box 38 Series 32.5: Record Book of Trust Mortgages and Agreements, Covering the Years 1858-1882 Box 38 Series 32.6: Daily Journals, 1869, 1876-1919 Volumes 1-61 Series 32.61: Daily Log Books, Private Car 200, 1887-1903 Box 39 Series 32.7: Memoranda: President's office, 1862-1918 Volumes +1-2; Boxes 40-60; Box +2 Series 32.8: Circulars, 1857-1968 Boxes 61-92; +3-6 Series 32.81: Scrapbooks, 1862-1963 Volumes +1-6; Boxes 93-112; Box +6 Series 32.82: Employee Newsletters, 1913, 1935-1967 Boxes 113-115 Series 32.9: Pamphlets and Printed Ephemera, 1850s-1999 Boxes 116-135; +7 Series 32.91: Artifacts and Realia, ca. 1880s-1950s Boxes 136-137; +8; flat file drawer 1 Series 32.92: Posters / Broadsides, 1856-1999 Boxes 137; +8-11; flat file drawer 1 Series 32.93: Timetables, 1854-1970 Boxes 138-178 Series 32.94: Overton, ca. 1880-1978 Boxes 179-213 Series 32.95: Reminiscences and Historical Works, 1903-1983 Boxes 214-219
- NamesChicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company.
- Advertising -- Railroads -- United States
- Burlington Zephyr (Express train)
- Dude ranches
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago
- National parks and reserves
- Railroad travel -- West (U.S.)
- Tourism -- West (U.S.)
- Geographic CoverageWest (U.S.) -- Description and travel