American Opera Society of Chicago Records, 1920-1990
- IdentificationMidwest MS American Opera
- TitleAmerican Opera Society of Chicago Records, 1920-1990 Midwest.MS.American Opera
- PublisherThe Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts
- RepositoryThe Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts
- Physical Description4.8 linear feet (1 record carton, 6 boxes, and 1 oversize box)
- Location1 2 4, 1 16 1
- AbstractFormed in 1921 by Chicago social leader Edith Rockefeller McCormick and composer Elinor Everest Freer to promote music, the American Opera Society of Chicago commissioned the translation of 23 operas in English. In its later incarnation it became a support group providing scholarships to rising opera stars. The collection includes several boxes and six albums of clippings, performance announcements, photos, member lists, meeting minutes and programs.
- OriginationAmerican Opera Society of Chicago.
- NamesAmerican Opera Society of Chicago. -- Records and correspondence
- Clubs and Organizations