Chicago Drama Performances. Index, 1839-1955
- TitleGuide to the Chicago Drama Performances Index1839-1955
- PublisherUniversity of Chicago Library
- Physical Description29.5 linear feet (59 boxes)
- RepositorySpecial Collections Research Center University of Chicago Library 1100 East 57th Street Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.
- AbstractCompiled by University of Chicago Professor Napier Wilt. Primarily index cards with information on theatrical performances in Chicago theaters, 1839-1955. Cards include title of play, dates of performances, author, theater where play was performed, actors, and sometimes comments on the play. Also includes scripts, playbills, reviews, and some information on New York theaters in the 20th century.
© The contents of this finding aid are the copyright of the University of Chicago Library
Chicago and Illinois
Theater and Performing Arts
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Chicago Drama Performances Index [Box #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
The Chicago Drama Performances Index represents a record of theatrical performance in the Chicago theaters from 1839-1955. There is also some information on New York theaters in the twentieth century. The Chicago Drama Performances Index is the result of theater history projects conducted by Napier Wilt, a faculty member in the University of Chicago's Department of English who specialized in the study of theater. The index was developed over a period of time by Wilt, with contributions from his students and colleagues.
The material is collected in multiple index files, as well as on unindexed cards. The largest and most cohesive files are an author index, title index, chronological index, index of plays performed annually, indexes of German plays, and an actor index.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
- NamesWilt, Napier, b. 1896
- Drama -- History and criticism
- Theater -- Illinois -- Chicago