Forest Preserve District of Cook County records, Series I: Administration Records, Bulk, 1930-1970
- TitleForest Preserve District of Cook County records MSFPDC09series1
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description331.25 Linear feet
- Bulk, 1930-1970
- AbstractThe Forest Preserve District of Cook County was created in 1914 with a mandate to “protect and preserve” the forests of Cook County. By 2004, the district had acquired more than 67,000 acres of forest lands. This collection contains the records of the district and other records that are relevant for the district’s history.
- OriginationForest Preserve District of Cook County, Illinois (Ill.).
Processing and encoding of this collection was made possible by a generous grant from the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation (http://www.gddf.org).
For an administrative history of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County records, please see Collection Description.
This series contains the administrative records of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. Most of these records appear to have come from the general headquarters and from the office of the general superintendent. Some items are restricted.
The series is divided into nine (9) sub-series.
Sub-series 1: General Headquarters Miscellaneous Correspondence, 1929-1962
Sub-series 2: General Headquarters Correspondence with Forest Preserve Commissioners and other County Officials, 1927-1967
Sub-series 3: Correspondence with the Public, 1928-1944
Sub-series 4: Charles Sauers's Personal Correspondence, 1933-1964
Sub-series 5: Concessions, Recreation, and Special Events, 1913-1996
Sub-series 6: Employment Records, 1929-1985
Sub-series 7: Financial Records, 1927-1993
Sub-series 8: Reference Library, 1904-1962
Sub-series 9: University of Illinois at Chicago Campus Controversy, 1955-1960
Sub-series 10: Public Information Office, ca. 2001-2011
Some items in this collection are restricted until seventy-five (75) years after the date of creation. These items are found in Series I, sub-series 6, "Employment records." Please see the complete finding aid for information on which specific folders the "closed for 75 years" restriction applies to.
Some items in sub-series 10, "Public Information Office," include audio cassettes, CC-ROM's or DVD's, and VHS video cassettes. The library may not have the equipment necessary to view these items. Patrons interested in seeing them should call ahead to see whether or how they can do so.
Forest Preserve District of Cook County records, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Forest Preserve District of Cook County, Illinois (Ill.).
- Forest Preserve District of Cook County, Illinois (Ill.). -- Archives
- Janura, Arthur Lloyd
- Sauers, Chas. G. (Charles G)
- County forests.
- Forest reserves.
- Natural areas.
- Geographic CoverageIllinois--Cook County.