Bob Crawford audio archive, 1970-2000
- Bob Crawford audio archive MSCraw04 MSCraw04
- Crawford, Bob audio archive
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description1.0 linear ft.
- AbstractThe Bob Crawford audio archive consists of roughly a hundred tapes of interviews, radio programs and City Council proceedings collected by Crawford over the last thirty years. The tapes have been digitized, and are available on the web.
- OriginationCrawford, Bob
Bob Crawford covered Chicago politics for local radio station WBBM-AM for over forty years. Crawford attended the University of Illinois, and earned his journalism degree in 1959. He began his work in the broadcast industry working for WILL, WPGU Radio and WCIA-TV. He began working for WBBM in 1968, and remained there until 2001. He is perhaps best known for WBBM's public affairs program "At Issue." He recieved a number of awards during his career, including being inducted into the Chicago Journalism Hall of Fame in 1995.
As WBBM's political editor and Chicago City Hall reporter, Crawford's coverage of Chicago politics spanned six mayoral administrations and included the many achievements and scandals of Chicago's City Council. He also covered a number of national stories, including a stint with CBS in 1980 covering the end of the Iranian hostage crisis and the transition between the Carter and Reagan administrations. Even after his retirement, Crawford continues to appear on the local media, providing local political analysis for outlets including WBBM, Chicago Public Radio, and WTTW.
The Bob Crawford audio archive consists of over 58 hours of audio spanning almost forty years of Chicago political history. Beginning with the mayoralty of the first Mayor Daley and extending to 2001, the archive includes interviews and audio clips with all of the Chicago mayors since 1968, as well as many other local, state and national political figures.
This finding aid is currently a work-in-progress. While all of the audio files are currently available through this page, Crawford's descriptions of these tracks are still in the process of being posted online.
The descriptions of the clips included in this finding aid were all written by Bob Crawford, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the University of Illinois.
Bob Crawford audio archive, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Bilandic, Michael A. (Michael Anthony), 1923-2002 -- History-Sources
- Byrne, Jane, 1933- -- History-Sources
- Daley, Richard J., 1902-1976 -- History-Sources
- Daley, Richard M. (Richard Michael), 1942- -- History-Sources
- Sawyer, Eugene -- History-Sources
- Washington, Harold, 1922-1987 -- History-Sources
- SubjectChicago Political and Civic Life.