Barbara Shipps' Hull-House collection, 1892-1978
- TitleBarbara Shipps' Hull-House collection MSShip73
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description0.25 Linear feet
- AbstractThe Barbara Shipps Hull-House Collection contains materials pertaining to Shipps' great aunts Eleanor and Gertrude Smith who served as Directors and Teachers at the Hull-House music school.
- OriginationShipps, Barbara
Barbara Shipps was the great niece of Eleanor and Gertude Smith, who served as Hull-House residents and Music School teachers. Eleanor Sophia Smith was born in 1858 to Willard and Matilda Smith. In 1987, she moved into Hull-House to direct the recently established Music School. Her sister Gertrude joined her shortly thereafter. Gertrude composed music and taught until Eleanor retired, at which time she took over direction of the Music School. Shipps collected family mementos and transferred the collection to Special Collections in 2000.
This collection reflects some aspects of Hull-House work, as well as Gertrude and Eleanor Smith's involvement with Settlement work. The collection primarily includes invitations, correspondence, brochures, clippings, and articles.
Researchers should be advised to consult the Eleanor and Gertrude Smith Papers held here in Special Collections.
Barbara Shipps' Hull-House collection, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago