Puerto Rican Cultural Center collection, 1973-2009
- TitlePuerto Rican Cultural Center Collection MSPRCC09
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description4.0 Linear feet
- AbstractChicago's Puerto Rican and Latina/o community established the Juan Antonio Corretjer Puerto Rican Cultural Center (PRCC) in 1973 as a non-profit community based organization. The collection contains printed documents produced and published by the Puerto Rican Cultural Center.
- OriginationPuerto Rican Cultural Center.
Chicago's Puerto Rican and Latina/o community established the Juan Antonio Corretjer Puerto Rican Cultural Center (PRCC) in 1973 as a non-profit community based organization. Addressing both the social and cultural needs of the West Town and Humboldt Park community, this organization has become a foundation for cultural activities for local residents. The philosophy of the center emphasizes self-determination, self-actualization and the importance of critical thought. The Puerto Rican Cultural Center includes several affiliated organizations. These organizations include: the Consuelo Lee Corretjer Day Care Center; the Andres Figueroa Cordero Memorial Library and Community Information Center; Cafe Teatro Batey Urbano; La Voz del Paseo Boricua; VIDA/Sida, La Casita de Don Pedro; Co-op Humboldt Park; Humboldt Park Participatory Democracy Project; Lolita Lebron Family Center, Community Organized for Obesity Prevention Humboldt Park [COOP HP]; Barrio Arts, Communication and Cultural Academy [BACCA]; and the Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos Puerto Rican High School [P.A.C.H.S.].
The Puerto Rican Cultural Center was located on North Claremont Avenue in the West Town community area in Chicago before moving to its current location on West Division Street near Humboldt Park (in West Town). Two large steel Puerto Rican flags mark the half-mile strip of Division Street that is known as Paseo Borricua. The center is located on the west end of the strip.
The collection contains printed documents produced and published by the Puerto Rican Cultural Center including newspaper, flyers, programs and books. Photographs, ephemera, and memorabilia from the center are also included. Digital files have been created for many of these items and can be found online at: www.uic.edu/depts/lib/prcc.
Puerto Rican Cultural Center collection, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- NamesPuerto Rican Cultural Center. -- Archives
- Chicago Community Organizations.
- Chicago Ethnic Groups.
- Chicago Political and Civic Life.