Beverly Area Planning Association records, 1966-1974
- TitleBeverly Area Planning Association records MSBAPA75
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description7.75 Linear feet
- AbstractThe correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, publications, research studies and subject files contained in this collection reflect the administration, programming and advocacy efforts of the Beverly Area Planning Association between 1967 and 1972.
- OriginationBeverly Area Planning Association (Chicago, Ill.).
The Beverly Area Planning Association (BAPA) was founded in 1947 as an umbrella agency of residential and business associations in the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood in Southwest Chicago. Founded as a property-owners organization in the predominantly while neighborhoods of the Beverly Area, the organization was initially concerned with neighborhood beautification projects. In the early 1970s, however, the focus of the organization shifted to address the effects of open-housing legislation in Chicago. Due to expanding city borders and the increasing numbers of African American homeowners in Beverly, a number of real estate agents were encouraging white homeowners to uproot. In order to combat the resultant racial segregation, BAPA secured grants that allowed it to monitor real estate agencies during this era, and encouraged residents to welcome their new African American neighbors as part of an integrated community. BAPA worked with State and local legislators to manage the effects of open housing legislation in their area. BAPA has also confronted such issues as crime in the community, rail transportation to the Loop, the quality of public education, and was instrumental in the creation of the Beverley Arts Center in 1967. The organization seeks to maintain the property values of the neighborhood by encouraging the rehabilitation of houses and fostering a vibrant neighborhood economy.
This collection reflects the administration, programming and advocacy efforts of the Beverly Area Planning Association between 1967 and 1972. Among the issues included in the collection are businesses in Beverly, zoning, real estate, and commuter transportation. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, publications, research studies and subject files.
Beverly Area Planning Association records, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- NamesBeverly Area Planning Association (Chicago, Ill.). -- Archives
- Chicago African American History.
- Chicago Community Organizations.
- Chicago Neighborhoods.
- Community organization.
- Illinois--Chicago--Beverly Hills.
- Illinois--Chicago--Morgan Park.