View full finding aid (PDF)
  • Creator Names Loyola University Chicago. Office of the General Counsel.
  • Title General Counsel records, 1884-1989 (bulk 1906-1970).
  • Physical description 7.25 linear feet.
  • Collection arrangement Organized into seven series: 1. Administrative Papers, 1906-1981 ; 2. Property, 1887-1978 ; 3. Estates, Accounts, etc., 1928-1970 ; 4. University Hospital and Medical Center, 1884-1951 ; 5. Lake Fill Project, 1988-1990, 1995 ; 6. Information Technology, 1983-1987, 1989-1990 ; 7. Restricted, 1928-1943 ; Alphabetical and chronological arrangement.
  • Access and usage restrictions Box 15 is restricted. Consult archivist for information.
  • Collection summary The General Counsel records consist of 7.25 linear feet spanning the years 1884 to 1989, with the bulk of materials being from 1906 to 1970, and include correspondence; property deeds and title abstracts; articles of incorporation, charters, and by-laws; minutes and resolutions; affiliation agreements; mortgages and loan papers; wills; financial statements; reports; and proposals. Subjects include the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, Rome Center, St. Ignatius College Board of Managers, Bennett College of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery, Rogers Park, property, campuses and buildings, the Central States College of Pharmacy, the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery, University Hospital and Medical Center, and the University Hospital Training School for Nurses.
  • Location of Other Archival Materials Note President's records; Loyola University of Chicago Archives and Special Collections.
  • Biographical or Historical Note The office of the General Counsel is charged with the responsibility of providing, or causing to be provided, all legal counsel and representation to Loyola University of Chicago and its subsidiaries. It is overseen by the Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary, a title established in 1989. Previously the position was known as recorder, legal advisor, legal counsel, and secretary. The title of "recorder" was used from 1925 to 1926 when the office was held by John Coan. From 1932 to 1941 the title of "legal advisor" was used with Edward J. Farrell serving in this capacity for the university. In 1967 James M. Forkins was appointed "legal counsel", holding the position until 1969 when he was followed by Richard A. Michael, who served in the position until 1972. William H. Oswald, J.D., was appointed general counsel in 1973, ending the long standing pracitce of having a member of the Law School faculty serve as the legal counsel for the university. Oswald was appointed secretary of the university in 1974, a position to which was added the titles of Vice President and General Counsel in 1989. Oswald served as Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary until 1995, when Ellen Kane Munro was appointed.
  • Finding Aids Note Finding aid available in repository; folder level.
  • Names
    • Loyola University Chicago Archives.
    • St. Ignatius College (Chicago, Ill.)
    • Bennett Medical College.
    • Central States College of Pharmacy.
    • Chicago College of Dental Surgery.
    • Cudahy Library.
    • Madonna della Strada Chapel (Chicago, Ill.)
    • Loyola University Chicago. School of Dentistry.
    • Loyola University Chicago. School of Medicine.
    • Loyola University Chicago Sports.
    • Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery.
    • Loyola University Chicago Buildings.
    • Loyola University Chicago. Archives.
  • Subjects
    • Acquisition of property.
    • Articles of incorporation.
    • Title examinations.
    • Land titles.
    • College campuses.
    • Financial statements.
  • Finding aid URL Finding aid to the General Counsel records http://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/archives/pdfs/general_counsel.pdf