1 to of 15 Archival Collections shown

Armour Mission Records, 1845-1934

Records of Armour Mission, Chicago, IL, 1886-1934. The collection includes records concerning church congregation membership and programs, official publications, financial records, real estate materials, and artifacts as detailed below.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1925-2000

Bronzeville is the name used to identify the historically African American community in which Illinois Institute of Technology is located on the south side of Chicago. The area roughly encompasses the three neighborhoods officially identified as Douglas,Grand Boulevard, and Kenwood.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1950s

Three tickets to the Grand Theatre, 3110 S. State Street, Chicago with face value of 25 cents each.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1950s

Slide images are as follows: *Note that The University of Chicago Archives holds the “Mildred Mead Photographs” in their photographic files. All of these images were used in “The Poorhouse: Subsidized Housing in Chicago, 1895 – 1976” by Devereux Bowly, Jr. (Carbondale: Southern Illinois Universit...

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1961

One aerial color photograph (by unidentified photographer) of buildings, primarily residential, covering the 3400 south blocks of Michigan Ave., Indiana Ave., Prairie Ave., and Calumet Ave. in Chicago. Photo is apparently taken from the roof of De La Salle Institute (located at 3455 S. Wabash) an...

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 2000

Thirty-one page booklet, Bronzeville Digital Stories, being a print version of interviews conducted by Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) students with nine African Americans, current and former residents of Chicago’s historically black neighborhood. In electronic form, these pages were p...

View tags

Ernest A. Griffin Family Papers, 1862-2007

Papers of family historian Ernest A. Griffin, proprietor of the Griffin Funeral Home on Chicago's south side, including family documents, photographs, audio/visual material, genealogical notes, and materials relating to the history of Camp Douglas (on which the funeral home stood) and Charles H. ...

View tags

Gerri Oliver papers

Fliers, tickets, menus, business cards, photos, publications, and newspaper clippings collected by Gerri Oliver for her business The Palm Tavern, 446 E. 47th Street, Chicago (Ill.). The Palm Tavern opened in 1933, and Gerri Oliver became its owner in 1956. It sometimes featured jazz and blues mus...


The Palm Tavern visual materials

Black-and-white photographic prints (18) and printed posters (15) collected by proprietor Gerri Oliver for display at The Palm Tavern, a bar located at 446 E. 47th Street in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago that often featured jazz and blues performances. Several photographs depict Oliver ...

View tags

Ron Gordon visual materials, 1971-2016

Black-and-white photographic negatives (approximately 780, 8 in. x 10 in. and smaller), 20 in. x 24 in. photographic prints (2,308), 4 in. x 5 in. photographic prints (5,195), and contact sheets (approximately 274); 8 in. x 10 in. color prints (6); and color transparencies (112, 4 in. x 5 in. a...


Sigmund J. Osty visual materials, 1960-1976

Black-and-white photographic prints depicting the built environment, predominantly in Chicago, but also Evanston, Skokie, and Galena, Illinois. All the images depict exterior views, the majority of which are street intersections, though the collection also documents streetscapes, residen...

View tags

South Side Redevelopment Collection, Ca. 1955

Small collection including aerial photos and photos of plans and models concerning the post-World War II planned redevelopment of Chicago's South Side, being the area around Illinois Institute of Technology centered at 33rd and State Sts. Photos were variously taken by: Hedrich-Blessing; Lowellyn...

View tags

Southside Community Committee, Inc. Collection, 1948 – 1950

Bulks with correspondence between Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) treasurer R. J. Spaeth and Golden B. Darby (administrative director of Southside Community Committee, Inc.) concerning use of space at 3354 S. State St. as a community center (AKA Mecca Community Center), and circumstanc...

View tags

William McBride, Jr. papers, 1907-1995

From the 1930s through the 1980s, William McBride was an artist, political activist and collector of Bronzeville cultural memorabilia. During the early 1940s, he played a prominent role with the South Side Community Art Center, serving as its publicity director. His papers include early SSCAC org...

View tags