1 to of 20 Archival Collections shown

Addison Ballard papers

Real estate documents, letters, newsclippings, etc., primarily about lumber trade and real estate interests of Addison Ballard and Mary Ballard Derby of Chicago (Ill.). Includes letter from a friend inquiring about Ballard's lumber yard after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871; reminiscence in 1902 o...

View tags

Armour Mission Records, 1845-1934

Records of Armour Mission, Chicago, IL, 1886-1934. The collection includes records concerning church congregation membership and programs, official publications, financial records, real estate materials, and artifacts as detailed below.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1925-2000

Bronzeville is the name used to identify the historically African American community in which Illinois Institute of Technology is located on the south side of Chicago. The area roughly encompasses the three neighborhoods officially identified as Douglas,Grand Boulevard, and Kenwood.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1950s

Three tickets to the Grand Theatre, 3110 S. State Street, Chicago with face value of 25 cents each.

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1950s

Slide images are as follows: *Note that The University of Chicago Archives holds the “Mildred Mead Photographs” in their photographic files. All of these images were used in “The Poorhouse: Subsidized Housing in Chicago, 1895 – 1976” by Devereux Bowly, Jr. (Carbondale: Southern Illinois Universit...

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 1961

One aerial color photograph (by unidentified photographer) of buildings, primarily residential, covering the 3400 south blocks of Michigan Ave., Indiana Ave., Prairie Ave., and Calumet Ave. in Chicago. Photo is apparently taken from the roof of De La Salle Institute (located at 3455 S. Wabash) an...

View tags

Bronzeville Collection, 2000

Thirty-one page booklet, Bronzeville Digital Stories, being a print version of interviews conducted by Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) students with nine African Americans, current and former residents of Chicago’s historically black neighborhood. In electronic form, these pages were p...

View tags

Dan Ryan Expressway property photographs, 1953-1954.

Photographs of buildings on properties acquired by the State of Illinois for construction of the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. Buildings were primarily single-family homes, small apartment buildings (flats), and small business locations that were rented to African American tenants. A few Africa...

View tags

Ernest A. Griffin Family Papers, 1862-2007

Papers of family historian Ernest A. Griffin, proprietor of the Griffin Funeral Home on Chicago's south side, including family documents, photographs, audio/visual material, genealogical notes, and materials relating to the history of Camp Douglas (on which the funeral home stood) and Charles H. ...

View tags

Friendship House (Chicago, Ill.) records. 1937-2000

Correspondence, staff meeting materials and annual convention reports, photographs, and other records, mainly from the Catholic interracial organization Chicago Friendship House (FH) and national headquarters; together with records from Friendship Houses in Shreveport (La.), New York City, Portla...

View tags

Gerri Oliver papers

Fliers, tickets, menus, business cards, photos, publications, and newspaper clippings collected by Gerri Oliver for her business The Palm Tavern, 446 E. 47th Street, Chicago (Ill.). The Palm Tavern opened in 1933, and Gerri Oliver became its owner in 1956. It sometimes featured jazz and blues mus...


Grand Boulevard/Gage Family Collection, 1908-1926.

The Gage Family Collection consists of family photographs that document the daily life of a middle-class family living in the Grand Boulevard community in the early 1900s. Besides the immediate family, individuals pictured here include Stanley's brother, Edward Gage, and his son Henry Crum Gage. ...

View tags

Neighborhoods, Keepers of Culture project oral histories and transcripts

Recorded oral histories and community meetings, as well as transcripts (including some interviewer check list forms, topic sheets, log sheets, and release forms) that were made as part of the project, Neighborhoods: Keepers of Culture. Some oral history interviews were made by students at Loyola ...

View tags

The Palm Tavern visual materials

Black-and-white photographic prints (18) and printed posters (15) collected by proprietor Gerri Oliver for display at The Palm Tavern, a bar located at 446 E. 47th Street in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago that often featured jazz and blues performances. Several photographs depict Oliver ...

View tags

Parkway Community House records

Consists chiefly of financial records (1937-1949, 1955-1957) and board of directors meeting minutes (1937-1949, 1955-1957) of the Parkway Community House, a neighborhood center. Also included are lists of contributors; reports of fund raising campaigns; general correspondence of the executive dir...

View tags

Sigmund J. Osty visual materials, 1960-1976

Black-and-white photographic prints depicting the built environment, predominantly in Chicago, but also Evanston, Skokie, and Galena, Illinois. All the images depict exterior views, the majority of which are street intersections, though the collection also documents streetscapes, residen...

View tags

South Side Redevelopment Collection, Ca. 1955

Small collection including aerial photos and photos of plans and models concerning the post-World War II planned redevelopment of Chicago's South Side, being the area around Illinois Institute of Technology centered at 33rd and State Sts. Photos were variously taken by: Hedrich-Blessing; Lowellyn...

View tags

Southside Community Committee, Inc. Collection, 1948 – 1950

Bulks with correspondence between Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) treasurer R. J. Spaeth and Golden B. Darby (administrative director of Southside Community Committee, Inc.) concerning use of space at 3354 S. State St. as a community center (AKA Mecca Community Center), and circumstanc...

View tags

William McBride, Jr. papers, 1907-1995

From the 1930s through the 1980s, William McBride was an artist, political activist and collector of Bronzeville cultural memorabilia. During the early 1940s, he played a prominent role with the South Side Community Art Center, serving as its publicity director. His papers include early SSCAC org...

View tags