1 to of 37 Archival Collections shown

Abbott, Edith and Grace. Papers, 1870-1967

Edith Abbott received her Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1905 and was a resident of Hull House until 1920. She served as Associate Director of the Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy at the University of Chicago and also served as dean. She died in 1957. Grace Abbott received her P...


Adena Miller Rich papers, 1905-1961

After Jane Addams' death in 1935, Adena Miller Rich took over the position of head resident of Hull House. The Adena Miller Rich papers include Hull House records, official correspondence, letters, memos, memorial services, statistical reports, Board of Trustees papers, membership lists, events a...

View tags

Association House of Chicago records, 1899-1972

Correspondence, minutes, financial records, staff handbooks, workshop materials, program reports, staff evaluations, newsletters, scrapbooks of newsclippings, and other materials created by staff, board members, community groups, and support groups affiliated with Association House, a Pr...


Bethlehem Howell Neighborhood Center collection, 1894-1969

Bethlehem Center and Howell House were church-related neighborhood houses serving the Pilsen area on the Near West Side. They provided religious, social services, and personal welfare assistance to an immigrant community composed predominantly of Bohemians, Poles, and Czechs. The two centers coop...

View tags

Chicago Commons Association records

Correspondence, minutes (1894-1960), annual and other reports, personnel records, records of clubs based at the settlement house, neighborhood census data and surveys compiled by the Chicago Commons, the second settlement house founded in Chicago, and by the Chicago Commons Association, which ope...

View tags

Chicago Commons. Collection, 1927-1968

The Chicago Commons settlement was founded in 1894 by Graham Taylor, a Dutch reform minister and pioneer of social work in Chicago. Located on Chicago's Northwest side, the settlement was home to a large number of Chicago’s growing immigrant population. Taylor’s daughter Lea Demarest Taylor took ...

View tags

Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy. Records, 1903-1922

The Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy was established in 1908. Growing out of the settlement house movement, it sought to combine social work education with actual social work. Faculty and students were involved with juvenile delinquency, truancy, vocational training, and housing. In 1920...

View tags

Descriptive inventory for the Chicago Commons Association visual materials, ca. 1896-1969

Photographic material documenting activities of the Chicago Commons Association settlement houses in the Near West Side of Chicago (Ill.). Includes views of activities for adults, children, teenagers, and senior citizens, such as handicraft, educational, vocational, and social activities. ...


Edith and Grace Abbott collection, 1909-1951

Edith and Grace Abbott lived at Hull-House and were founders of the Immigrants' Protective League. The Edith and Grace Abbott collection consists of articles, book reviews, newspaper clippings, yearbook, letters, memorials, reports, addresses, and writings.

View tags

Elsie P. Wolcott papers, 1906-1933

Elsie P. Wolcott was a social worker in Chicago and part of the larger circle of social reformers and activists surrounding Jane Addams. Wolcott studied under Edith Abbott at the Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy. She researched practical problems faced by poor families such as food prese...

View tags

Emerson House (Chicago, Ill.) records

Correspondence, clippings, newsletters, minutes, constitution, by-laws, lists of directors, brochures, handbook, black and white photographs of Emerson House, a settlement house and community service organization located at 645 N. Wood Street in Chicago, which merged with the Chicago Commons Asso...


Erie Neighborhood House (Chicago, Ill.) records, 1897-2004, bulk 1960-2004

Administrative files, correspondence, contracts, minutes, financial records, annual reports, newspaper clippings, research papers, and other materials from Erie Neighborhood House, a community center and social service organization, located in the West Town neighborhood of Chicago (Ill.). Files ...


Erie Neighborhood House photograph collection, 1908-1966.

Primarily photographs of activities and people of the Erie Neighborhood House, a social service organization located at 1347 West Erie Street in Chicago's near west side community named West Town. Includes interiors and exteriors of facilities, medical service, educational activities and special ...

View tags

Esther Loeb Kohn papers, Bulk, 1920-1965

Esther Loeb Kohn (1875-1965) was a Hull-House resident, social reformer and lobbyist for progressive child labor laws in Illinois. The collection contains personal correspondence, clippings and photographs as well as records of Chicago area social service agencies including the Immigrants Protect...

View tags

Fellowship House (Chicago, Ill.) records

Correspondence, reports, and other office files of Fellowship House, a Chicago settlement house. Also included are two scrapbooks (ca. 1940-1950) that consist of newspaper clippings, brochures, invitations, cover letters, and agendas. Fellowship House primarily served the changing foreign populat...


Graham Taylor Papers, 1820-1975

Works, correspondence, and family papers of minister, social worker, professor, and founder of Chicago Commons settlement house, Graham Taylor.


Gudrun Rom papers, 1957-1966

From 1909, until about 1912, Chicago social worker Gudrun S. Rom was a caseworker with United Charities. She then worked for the Bureau of Public Welfare, the Juvenile Protective Association, and the Juvenile Court before returning to United Charities in 1918 to work in the Near North Side distri...

View tags

Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Delinquent Boy Case Files, 1929-1931, 1938-1938

The series includes case files and address cards as well as papers containing plans for the Delinquent Boys program, letters, a list of acronyms for agencies, and other administrative documents.

View tags

Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association General Administrative Records, 1892-1995

The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 in a poor, primarily immigrant neighborhood on the near northwest side of Chicago to improve conditions and to help its residents through its clubs and classes, social events, camping programs, and relief and emergency service...


Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Case Files, 1908-1975

The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by a group of administrators and faculty from Northwestern University in order to provide social services, educational programs, referrals, and emergency relief to a poor immigrant neighborhood on Chicago's near northwest side...

View tags

Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Financial Records, 1918-1971

The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by a group of administrators and faculty from Northwestern University in order to provide social services, educational programs, referrals, and emergency relief to a poor immigrant neighborhood on Chicago’s near northwest side...

View tags

Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Photographs, 1890-1991

The photographs in this series document the Northwestern University Settlement Association from 1890 — 1991. Prints as well as safety film negatives are included. This collection includes many of the photographs that appear in The Worn Doorstep by Mark Wukas.

View tags

Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Scrapbooks, 1917-1984

The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by a group of administrators and faculty from Northwestern University in order to provide social services, educational programs, referrals, and emergency relief to a poor immigrant neighborhood on Chicago's near northwest side...


HOSPITES: American Social Workers Hospitality Group collection, 1933-1935

HOSPITES was established in 1933 to render assistance to German social work colleagues, both Jewish and Christian. The collection consists of correspondence, memoranda, receipts, Executive Committee meeting minutes, and a report.

View tags