• IdentificationPUBLIC "-//The Art Institute of Chicago::Ryerson and Burnham Archives//TEXT(US::ICA::198405::CHARLES HERRICK HAMMOND (1882-1969) PAPERS, 1894-1963)//EN" "ica198405.xml"
  • TitleHammond, Charles Herrick, (1882-1969) Papers, 1894-1963
  • PublisherRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago,
  • Language
    • English
    • English.
  • Date1894-1963
  • Physical Description
    • 1.5 linear feet (5 boxes), 2 oversize portfolios and flatfile materials
    • Printed papers, typescript papers, black and white photographic prints, architectural reprographic prints and photocopies.
  • RepositoryRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60603-6110 (312) 443-7292 rbarchives@artic.edu http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchives.html
  • AbstractThe collection contains papers and photographs from Chicago architect C. Herrick Hammond's professional activities, including his work as supervising architect for the State of Illinois, and personal memorabilia.
  • OriginationHammond, Charles Herrick, 1882-1969
  • LocationThe collection is housed in the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries' on-site stacks.

Charles Herrick Hammond (1882-1969) graduated in 1904 with a B.S. in Architecture from the Armour Institute of Technology in Chicago. Establishing himself in practice in Chicago in 1907, he was a member of the firms Chatten & Hammond (1907-1927), Perkins, Chatten & Hammond (1927-1933), and Burnham & Hammond (1933-1951). Concurrently he was Supervising Architect for the State of Illinois from 1929 to 1952. In 1952 he established a practice in Delray Beach, Florida, with a four-year association with Gamble, Pownall and Gilroy (1955-1959).

The collection is composed of miscellaneous family memorabilia, business papers, certificates, and awards. Charles Herrick Hammond's private practice is documented through articles and photographs of his private residence in Winnetka; the residence of Hubert Burnham, 1224 Sheridan Road, Evanston; and the residence of Warren J. Henderson, Hillsboro Beach, Florida. Several projects that Hammond directed as Supervising Architect of the State of Illinois are documented in photographs or articles: the reconstruction of the village at New Salem State Park; the restoration of the Cahokia Court House; and Springfield Memorial Hospital. Among the other papers are his professional engineering registration, the certificate as Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, his diploma from the Royal Institute of British Architects, and several programs of American Institute of Architects dinners, including one honoring Sir Edwin Lutyens.

SERIES I: BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL PAPERS. Military papers, personal invitations, project documents, and black and white photographs are arranged chronologically within each document type or subject.

SERIES II: ARCHITECTURAL PROJECT PAPERS. Projects are in alphabetical order, with individual items arranged chronologically.

SERIES III: NEW SALEM STATE PARK, ABRAHAM LINCOLN TOMB RESTORATION, AND LINCOLNIANA. Architectural drawings for the restoration of Rutledge Tavern in New Salem are followed by photographs of the restored buildings at New Salem, arranged in the order in which they were received. The Abraham Lincoln Tomb restoration project is documented by photographs, arranged in chronological order, and followed by other memorabilia in chronological order, with undated material at the end of each section. Additional Lincolniana is listed at the end of the series, in chronological order, with undated material last.

SERIES IV: MISCELLANEOUS. Photographs are listed at the beginning of this series, in alphabetical order by project or location name; printed articles and other matter are listed next in alphabetical order; miscellaneous business cards and a Christmas card are listed at the end of this series.

  • NamesHammond, Charles Herrick, 1882-1969
  • Subject
    • Hammond, Charles Herrick, 1882-1969--Archives
    • Illinois. Dept. of Public Works and Buildings
    • Architecture--Illinois--20th century--Sources
    • Architects--Illinois--Chicago--Archives
    • New Salem (Menard County, Ill.)--History--Sources

BOX.FF

Flatf.

n.d.

OP

TC

TLS

Architectural drawings by Perkins, Chatten and Hammond are held in the permanent collection of the Department of Architecture at The Art Institute of Chicago.

Architectural drawings by Perkins, Chatten and Hammond are held in the permanent collection of the Department of Architecture at The Art Institute of Chicago.

This collection may be used by qualified readers in the Reading Room of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries at The Art Institute of Chicago. Collections maintained on-site are available for patron use without prior arrangement or appointment. Collections maintained on-site are available for patron use without prior arrangement or appointment. Collections maintained in off-site storage will be retrieved with advance notification; please consult the Archivist for the current retrieval schedule. For further information, consult http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/rbarchives/rbarchaccess.html

The Art Institute of Chicago is providing access to the materials in the Libraries' collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of the Art Institute is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Archivist, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago. In addition to permission from the Art Institute, permission of the copyright owner (if not the Art Institute) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. The Art Institute makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.

Charles Herrick Hammond Papers, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago.

These materials were donated by Hammond's nephew, James W. Hammond, a prominent Chicago architect; Richard Stout, his stepson; and his niece Mary Hammond Rodman, over several years.

The collection was originally processed by the staff of the Ryerson and Burnham Archives in 1986; it was reorganized by Natasha Derrickson in 2001. Additional materials were added in 2003. This finding aid was revised and expanded by Annemarie van Roessel in 2003.