900 North Michigan Avenue Building Collection
1 to 5 of 16 Digital Images shown
- IdentificationPUBLIC "-//The Art Institute of Chicago::Ryerson and Burnham Archives//TEXT(US::ICA::1986.4::900 NORTH MICHIGAN AVENUE BUILDING COLLECTION, 1925-1938//EN" "ica198604.xml"
- Title900 North Michigan Avenue Building Collection, 1925-1938
- PublisherRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago,
- .5 linear foot(1 box) and 1 oversize portfolio.
- Sepia diazo, blackline and blueprint architectural reprographic prints on paper.
- RepositoryRyerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60603-6110 (312) 443-7292 firstname.lastname@example.org
- AbstractArchitectural drawings, specifications, and rental information for the 900 North Michigan Avenue Building, Chicago, Illinois, designed by architect Jarvis Hunt.
- OriginationThe origination of this collection is unknown at this time.
- LocationThe collection is housed in the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries' on-site stacks.
This small collection of plans, drawings, specifications and miscellaneous brochures documents the 900 North Michigan Avenue Building in Chicago. Designed by the Chicago architect Jarvis Hunt, the apartment building at 900 North Michigan Avenue was constructed in 1926. High-quality shops were located on the ground floor, with thirty-three rental apartments on the second and third floors. The remaining six floors were divided into thirty-six units for the owners of the cooperative apartment building. These apartments ranged in size from four to twelve rooms and some were duplexed. The U-shaped courtyard building was clad in stone on the lower levels and in brick on the upper levels. An effort to place the building on the Illinois Register of Historic Places failed in the early 1980s and demolition of the structure began in June, 1984. A new multi-use building designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates and Perkins & Will was constructed on the site.
Jarvis Hunt, a nephew of Richard M. Hunt and William Morris Hunt, was born in Wethersfield, Vermont, in 1859 (or 1861?). After attending Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he came to Chicago as architect for the State of Vermont Building at the World's Columbian Exposition, which opened in Chicago in 1893. Establishing his practice in Chicago, Hunt designed the original complex of buildings for the Great Lakes Naval Training Station in Illinois; the Boulevard Building at 30 N. Michigan Avenue; the Lake Shore Athletic Club; several residences in Lake Forest, Illinois, and Lake Geneva, Wisconsin; and railroad terminals for Kansas City, Missouri, and Oakland, California. Before his retirement in 1927 Hunt practiced in partnership with Charles Bohasseck, also a resident co-owner of the 900 North Michigan Avenue Building. Hunt died in St. Petersburg, Florida, on June 16, 1941.
The specifications, dated 1925, document the initial construction of the building. One group of plans, the final outline of apartments for floor 4-9, appears to be for the original occupants, dating to 1927. Two plans from 1938 record alterations made to the interior spaces.
This collection is organized in one series, with leasing information about the building listed first, followed by architectural plans in chronological sequence. Construction specifications and specification addenda are listed in chronological sequence at the end of the series.
- 900 North Michigan Avenue Building (Chicago, Ill.)--Design and construction--Archives
- Hunt, Jarvis
- Chicago (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--History--Sources
This collection may be used by qualified readers in the Reading Room of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries at The Art Institute of Chicago. Collections maintained on-site are available for patron use without prior arrangement or appointment. Collections maintained in off-site storage will be retrieved with advance notification; please consult the Archivist for the current retrieval schedule. For further information, consult http://www.artic.edu/aic/access/access.html
The Art Institute of Chicago is providing access to the materials in the Libraries' collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of the Art Institute is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Archivist, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago. In addition to permission from the Art Institute, permission of the copyright owner (if not the Art Institute) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. The Art Institute makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
900 North Michigan Avenue Building Collection, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, The Art Institute of Chicago.
This collection was donated to the Ryerson and Burnham Archives by Ward A. Miller in 1986.
The collection was processed by staff of the Ryerson and Burnham Archives in 1996. This finding aid was revised and expanded by Annemarie van Roessel in 2003.