Chicago Commons Association visual materials, ca. 1896-1969
- See Also
- Social Services
- Recreation & Leisure
- Public Health
- Cultures & Communities
- Settlement House Movement
- Food & Drink
- Near West Side
- Chicago Commons
- Tabernacle Congregational Church
- Brueckner, William H
- Collins, William C
- Lipschutz, Clarence
- Nagel, Dan
- Chicago Commons Association
- View All
- TitleDescriptive inventory for the Chicago Commons Association visual materials, ca. 1896-1969
- PublisherChicago Historical Society
- RepositoryChicago History Museum Research Center 1601 North Clark Street Chicago, IL 60614-6038
- OriginationChicago Commons Association
- 939 photographic prints : b&w ; 11 x 14 in. or smaller
- 3 albums (ca. 600 photographic prints plus ephemera) ; 11 x 14 in. or smaller
- 5 photomechanical prints ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller
- 25 photographic prints : col., snapshots ; 9 x 14 cm. (3 1/2 x 5 1/4 in.) or smaller
- 13 negatives : col. ; 35 mm.
- 12 transparencies : lantern slide ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller
- 2 transparencies : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.
- 34 negatives : b&w ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller
- 25 negatives : cellulose nitrate ; 9 x 11 cm. (3 1/2 x 4 1/2 in.) or smaller
- 1 folder of non-graphic material
- 1980.0125 PPL
- 1980.0125 PCLF
- 1980.0125 PLS-0050
- 1980.0125 PCT-0047
- 1980.0125 PPN-0097
- 1980.0125 PNN
Digitization and preservation of the nitrate negatives was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Advance appointment required to view color material in cold storage or negatives in cool storage; please email email@example.com.
To consult lantern slides in the Research Center it is necessary to make an advance appointment (email: Research@chicagohistory.org ); however most are represented by photoprints in this collection.
Nitrate negatives restricted from access, see reference copies instead.
Gift of Chicago Commons Association, 1968 and later (1980.0125, 1980.0168).
Nitrate reference copies available online http://digitalcollection.chicagohistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16029coll5/id/1426.
Lantern slides are represented by photoprints in the collection.
Chicago Commons Association visual materials (Chicago History Museum) plus a detailed description, date, and box/folder number of a specific item.
Photographic material documenting activities of the Chicago Commons Association settlement houses in the Near West Side of Chicago (Ill.). Includes views of activities for adults, children, teenagers, and senior citizens, such as handicraft, educational, vocational, and social activities. Also includes scenes relating to nutrition, physical fitness and sports for children and teenagers; children's summer camp (ca. 1920-1969); portraits of various clubs and committees: Choral Club, Mother's Club, Peace Committee; theatrical presentations, parties, and dances. Images show interiors and exteriors of facilities at four locations. Includes views of people of undetermined ethnicity and views of depressed economic conditions of the surrounding neighborhoods, particularly around Grand Avenue and Morgan Street, ca. 1896-1920.
Early years at the settlement houses are shown in one album belonging to Head Resident Lea Taylor, one scrapbook belonging to staff member Ida Noetzel, and another small album. A few images are portraits of executive staff members: William H. Brueckner, Mrs. William. M. Collins, Clarence Lipschutz, and Dan Nagel, ca. 1950-1969.
The Chicago Commons Association is a social service organization and former settlement house in Chicago (Ill.). The Chicago Commons was founded in 1894 by Graham Taylor at 140 N. Union Street; incorporated in 1895; moved to Grand Avenue and Morgan Street in 1901; established Farm Camp near New Buffalo, Michigan in 1923. In later years, it became the Chicago Commons Association through merger with Emerson House, 645 N. Wood Street, in 1948; headquarters moved to Taylor House, 915 N. Wolcott Avenue, in 1958; opened Jackie Robinson House in the Henry Horner Homes (Chicago Housing Authority), 124 N. Hoyne Avenue in 1965; Olivet Community Center, 1441 N. Cleveland Avenue (founded 1888) merged in 1966; Mary McDowell Settlement, 4630 S. McDowell Avenue, merged in 1967; Benton House, 3052 S. Gratten Avenue, merged in 1967.
Related materials at Chicago History Museum, Research Center, include the Chicago Commons Association collection of additional photographs (1980.0315), the Chicago Commons Association records, the Lea Taylor papers, and some records of settlement houses that merged into the Chicago Commons Association.
Eliminated call number 1980.0125 PNN-0036 during nitrate digitization project 2017/02/24.
- Adult education--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- African Americans--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Camps--Michigan--New Buffalo--1920-1970
- Charitable organizations--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Children eating and drinking--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Children's parties--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Norwegian Americans--Illinois--Chicago
- Older people--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Settlement houses--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1969
- Social settlements--Illinois--Chicago--1890-1970
- Theatrical productions--Illinois--Chicago
- Brueckner, William H.--Portraits
- Collins, William C., Mrs.--Portraits
- Lipschutz, Clarence--Portraits
- Nagel, Dan--Portraits
- Chicago Commons Association--Photographs
- Chicago Commons (Chicago, Ill.)--Photographs
- Tabernacle Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.)--Photographs
- 955 West Grand Avenue (Chicago, Ill.)
- 145 North Union Street (Chicago, Ill.)
- 917 North Wolcott Street (Chicago, Ill.)
- 645 North Wood Street (Chicago, Ill.)
- Near West Side (Chicago, Ill.)
- Chicago (Ill.)--Social conditions--1890-1970
- Chicago (Ill.)--Streets--Grand Avenue--West--955
- Chicago (Ill.)--Streets--Union--North--145
- Chicago (Ill.)--Streets--Wolcott--North--917
- Chicago (Ill.)--Streets--Wood--North--645
- United States--Illinois--Cook County--Chicago
The collection is arranged into seven series by physical format.
Series 1. Black-and-white photographic prints and albums, ca. 1896-1969 (box 1-7)
Black-and-white photographic prints, photograph albums, and scrapbooks depicting Chicago Commons Associataion activities for children, teens, senior citizens, and women (including images of Norwegian Women's Club); events; camp; staff; facilities and surrounding neighborhoods, including the Emerson House and Taylor House; and the Tabernacle Congressional Church.
Series 2. Color photographic prints and negatives, 1957-1965 (folder 1)
Color photographic prints and negatives related to Chicago Commons Association camp, children's activities, facilities and nursury.
Series 3. Color transparencies, undated (folder 2)
Color photographic transparencies related to original Chicago Commons Association building at 140 North Union Chicago (Ill.).
Series 4. Lantern slides, 1900-1908 (box 8)
Black-and-white photographic lantern slides related to the Chicago Commmons Association.
Series 5. Nitrate negatives, ca. 1930-1949 (folder 3)
Nitrate negatives depicting Chicago Commons Association camp and surrounding neighborhood.
Series 6. Black-and-white negatives, ca. 1950-1965, undated (folder 4)
Black-and-white photographic negatives depicting Chicago Commons Association camp and senior citizens' activities.
Series 7. Non-graphic material, undated (folder 5)
Printed and published materials created by the Chicago Commons Association.