Guide to the Chicago Theaters Scrapbooks, 1908-1915
- Guide to the Chicago Theaters Scrapbooks
- Chicago Theaters Scrapbooks
- OriginationCharles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections
- Physical Description1.00
- RepositoryCharles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections Deering Library, Level 3 1970 Campus Drive Evanston, IL, URL: http://www.library.northwestern.edu/spec Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 847-491-3635
- AbstractThis collection on Chicago area theatres consists primarily of three scrapbooks filled with clippings, programs, reviews, and publicity generated for the theatre seasons between 1908 and 1915.
The McCormick Library houses more than 235,000 of Northwestern University Library's most unusual and outstanding items and collections. The span of time and material types represented ranges from four-thousand year old Mesopotamian clay tablets to 19th century cobweb paintings to the most recent issues of feminist journals from around the world.
Formats collected include rare books and periodicals, manuscripts and archives, sound recordings, photographs, video/film, posters, prints, and realia.
There are no restrictions on access of the materials in the department for research.
For additional archival theatre material, consult the Dublin Gate Theatre Archive, Lucy Wilson scrapbook (CXXX), Ira Aldridge Collection (IV), Edward Gordon Craig Collection (series C), McIntyre & Heath (CXXXIII), and the McCormick Library’s playbill collection. See also the department’s description on Theatre Resources.
This collection on Chicago area theatres consists primarily of three scrapbooks filled with clippings, programs, reviews, and publicity generated for the theatre seasons between 1908 and 1915. Performances were generally in theatres in Chicago or the surrounding area. Some of the scrapbooks have a performance index listing the plays included in the volume. There are many publicity photographs from playbills and the newspaper of actors, actresses and scenes from the stage performance. Cast lists for particular plays are included. Some performances have comments by the owner of the scrapbook.