Englewood Women's Club collection, 1908-1928
- TitleEnglewood Women's Club Collection MSEWC_98
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description0.5 Linear feet
- AbstractThe Englewood Women's Club was a Chicago neighborhood cultural association founded in 1896. The collection reflects the various endeavors of club members through programs and yearbooks from 1908-1928.
- OriginationEnglewood Woman’s Club (Chicago, Ill.).
In 1896, fifty-one Southside Chicago women organized the Englewood Women's Club for the purpose of promoting social interaction through educational and cultural events. During the Club's History, they sponsored programs on a variety of topics related to sociology, music, visual arts, and education. The club co-sponsored a lecture series and produced plays with the University of Chicago, which took place at the People's Liberal Church and brought together faculty and community members. Club members undertook various philanthropic and community service initiatives, including work with Englewood High School and fundraising drives for war relief. The club remained active through the 1920's.
The Englewood Women's Club collection consists of yearbooks and programs highlighting the activities of the club. The yearbooks include organizational information and member lists.
Englewood Women's Club collection, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- NamesEnglewood Woman’s Club (Chicago, Ill.). -- Archives
- Chicago Community Organizations.
- Chicago Neighborhoods.
- Midwest Women's History.