Mary Jo Deegan collection, 1979-1994
- TitleMary Jo Deegan collection MSDeeg79
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description0.5 Linear feet
- AbstractPart of the Jane Addams Memorial Collection. Part of the Midwest Women's Historical Collection. Dr. Mary Jo Deegan is a Professor in the Sociology Department of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She is the author of the monograph "Jane Addams and the Men of the Chicago School." This collection contains unpublished papers and published articles by Mary Jo Deegan. Subjects of the papers and articles include Hull-House residents, sociology, Jane Addams, Edith and Grace Abbot, W.E.B. DuBois, Jessie Taft and George Mead.
- OriginationDeegan, Mary Jo, 1946-
Mary Jo Deegan was born on November 27, 1946 to William James and Ida May (Scott) Deegan in Chicago, Illinois. She holds an A.S. degree from Lake Michigan College, 1966, a B.S., Western Michigan University, 1969, and earned an M.A., 1973, and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, 1975. Mary Jo Deegan is a noted feminist scholar and sociology educator who has produced several works including Jane Addams and Men of the Chicago School, 1892-1918 (1988) for which she received the Choice Award, 1989-90. Some other major works include Women and Disability (1985), Feminist Ethics in Social Research (1989), and Women in Sociology (editor, 1991). She is a member of the American Sociological Association and the International Sociological Association. She became an assistant professor at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, in 1975 and has held the rank of full professor since 1989.
The Mary Jo Deegan Collection includes scholarly articles and other writings by Mary Jo Deegan. Some published reviews of her work are also included.
Who's Who in America. 55th ed. Volume 1, A - K. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 2001.
Mary Jo Deegan donated most of these materials to the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1979 and 1993 - 1994.
Mary Jo Deegan collection, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Deegan, Mary Jo, 1946- -- Archives
- Hull-House (Chicago, Ill.).
- Chicago school of sociology.
- Midwest Women's History.
- Geographic CoverageIllinois--Chicago.