Association for Family Living records, 1926-1967
- TitleAssociation for Family Living records MSAFL_69
- PublisherSpecial Collections
- RepositorySpecial Collections
- Physical Description10.5 Linear feet
- AbstractThe Association for Family Living was an educational agency in Chicago concerned with improving marriage and family life. This collection covers the history and activities of the Chicago based Association for Family Living from its inception in 1926 through 1967.
- OriginationAssociation for Family Living (Chicago, Ill.).
The Association for Family Living was an educational agency in Chicago concerned with improving marriage and family life. This organization sought to provide educational opportunities for individuals and groups to develop the knowledge, skills, and values necessary for more effective family and community living.
The Association for Family Living was organized in 1925 under the name Chicago Association of Child Study. In 1926 the name was altered to The Chicago Association for Child Study and Parent Education to reflect the fuller coverage of services for families. It was incorporated under this name in 1930. The name changed again in 1938 to the Association for Family Living.
The association was administered by a Board of Directors. An Advisory Board made up of professionals from across the nation provided guidance and advice to the Board of Directors. Membership was available on an institutional, group, and individual level.
The first elected Board of Directors in 1926 included: Mrs. Samuel Lawton (chairman), Mrs. Harold B. Ickes (vice chairman), Mrs. Edw. Lowenthal (vice chairman), Mrs. Charles Schwartz (corresponding secretary), Mrs. Walter O. Wilson (recording secretary), Mrs. Adolph Schaar (treasurer), and four members-at-large: Mrs. Arthur Compton, Mrs. Kate Hirtenstein, Mrs. Emele Levy, and Mrs. L. J. Longini. Mrs. Samuel Lawton remained in the chairman position until 1938 and then continued on as honorary president until 1946. The title chairman changed to president when the final name change took place in 1938.
The headquarters, established at 220 South State Street in Chicago, were staffed by volunteers and supported by grants. Publication of the newsletter began in 1932. Counseling services began in 1932 and were expanded in 1937. The association hosted and/or participated in several annual conferences, which over the years included many notable professionals such as Margaret Mead. Jane Addams was requested to chair the association's first conference. The Association for Family Living also provided community education programs in local churches and organizations such as the YWCA, and housed a resource library at their headquarters.
This organization was listed in the annually published Social Service Directory Chicago from 1926 until 1969.
This collection covers the history and activities of the Chicago based Association for Family Living from its inception in 1926 through 1967. This collection includes minutes, financial records, correspondence, conference plans, manuscripts, speeches, newsletters, newspaper clippings, association histories, scrapbooks, and a few photographs.
Association for Family Living records, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Association for Family Living (Chicago, Ill.). -- Archives
- Hull-House (Chicago, Ill.).
- Chicago Community Organizations.
- Midwest Women's History.
- Parenting -- Study and teaching.
- Sex instruction.
- Teenage parents.