• Type still image
  • Type original
  • Format 3.5"x5.5"; 8"x10" copy print
  • Title Postcard, Photo
  • Description Real photo postcard of downtown Wilmette with caption in black in handwriting of T. S. Gillette, "Central Ave East from Wilmette Ave." White border on all sides, slightly wider at bottom. Three-part awning of Cox Building shows occupant as Wilmette Pharmacy. Above this the window indicates the office of Dr. Lester Mee. Millinery shop sign at left, above grocery/lunch place, indicates Lenore Rambo's hat shop (opened 1908). This is the earliest known photo of the Cox Building at 1167 Wilmette Ave., which when opened in the early 1900s was one of the first commercial structures built east of the Chicago & North Western tracks. It provided space for five retail shops on the first floor and ten medical offices on the second floor. Its builder and original owner was Wilmette resident Albert Cox. At right foreground is water fountain donated by Wilmette Woman's Club; for horses on the street side, for people on other side. The building at right in background would be remodeled in 1951 and later (1958) become Gold Medal Cleaners. This photo could be earlier than 1909 as there are no street lights at the intersection. Date can be no later than 1911, because the Brown Building has not yet been built next to (directly north of) the Cox Building. Two copy slides - copy 1 is Kodachrome slide dated Feb. 1975 and copy 2 is a Kodachrome transparency dated Sept. 1971
  • Subject Postcard, Photo
  • Subject Thomas Slater Gillette
  • Creator Thomas Slater Gillette
  • Publisher Wilmette Historical Museum
  • Date circa 1909
  • Identifier B523
  • Coverage 1908 - 1911