1 to of 5 Archival Collections shown

Back of the Yards community collection, 1937-1983.

This collection consists of microfilm reels of the Back of the Yards Journal, running from January 7, 1937 to December 29, 1983 with some significant gaps, as well as one box of supplementary materials. Also included is a microfilm reel of scrapbooks kept by the Back of the Yards Council from bet...

View tags

Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council records, 1954-1964

The Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council (BYNC) was located on Chicago's Southwest side near the former Union Stockyards that housed Chicago's meatpacking plants. Saul Alinsky and Joseph Meegan founded the BYNC in 1939 making it the oldest community organization in the United States. Its 185 de...

View tags

Chicago Stockyards collection, 1890-1970

The Chicago Stockyards, also known as the Union Stockyards, played an integral role in the development of Chicago as the hub of the meat industry. This collection highlights selective aspects of the management and promotional activities of the stockyards.

View tags

Mary McDowell Settlement (Chicago, Ill.) records, 1894-1970

Letters, speeches, etc. of Mary McDowell, head resident,1894-1936, of the University of Chicago Settlement, which later became known as the Mary McDowell Settlement, and other administrators; board minutes, reports, letters, and financial papers of the settlement. The board minutes contain relate...

View tags

Zielinski family photographs, [ca. 1933-1940]

Photographs relating to the Walter and Mary Zielinski family, Polish immigrants who operated Walter's Tavern and restaurant at 47th Street and Ashland Avenue, just south of "Whiskey Row" in the Back of the Yards community area of Chicago (Ill.). Includes tintype of Zielinski children next to a st...

View tags